Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Jim Thompson House Museum, Bangkok

I don’t know which is more interesting: the fact that Jim Thompson revived the Thai silk industry; or that he mysteriously disappeared/died in 1967. The former is more relevant, but it is the latter that apparently makes us go to Google for more information.

Guilty.

However, what really made me want to give his house a visit are:

(1) a promise of a visual feast (Mr Thompson was an architect, among many things); and

(2) curiosity about whether his products were significantly better than others to command such high prices;

Going to Jim Thompson House Museum:

Take the BTS (Skytrain) to National Stadium station through to Exit 1. Turn right at Soi Kasemsan Song (2), straight ahead to the end of the soi (street).



Admission:

THB 100 for adults and THB 50 for those below 25.

Getting Around Jim Thompson House Museum

As part of the admission fee, there will be a guided tour of the area which takes about 30-40 minutes, after which you can then enjoy the place at your own pace. Photo-taking is not allowed inside the House.


Also, for “farangs (foreigners),” there are special groups for English, French and Japanese tours.

What I Thought

I thoroughly enjoyed the tour. I have listed the things I discovered and liked, but I leave these unwritten here so as not to spoil your own experience.

As for the products, I have this to say:

I am not the target market of Jim Thompson merchandise. :D


No comments:

Post a Comment